Pillai meets civil rights groups, church leaders in Nagaland
Kohima: Opinion of civil society groups,
church leaders and student bodies in Nagaland has been sought
on the vexed Naga political conflict before finalising counter
proposals against the NSCN-IM`s charter of demands submitted
to the Centre a few years ago.
Union Home Secretary G K Pillai, who today concluded a
two-day visit to the state, clarified that the counter
proposals would be in a form of a comprehensive political
package to the Nagas, but not only for the state.
It would be first placed before the Cabinet Committee
on Security for approval and then offered to Naga groups for
further negotiations, he told reporters here.
Pillai, who also held discussions with senior police
and army officials here on the law-and-order situation, said
the Centre was happy that the level of killings and bloodshed
in the state had reduced drastically.
But there were still instances of extortion and
abductions for ransom which was a cause of concern and the
state government should firmly deal with it, he said.
Extortion scared away potential investors from the
state, Pillai said. "Why will a businessman come to Dimapur
when he has to pay Rs 400 for a bag of cement instead of
Guwahati where he can purchase it for in Rs 250?"
He pointed out that because of rampant extortion, many
businessmen from Manipur were now investing in Guwahati,
particularly in real estate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!