Pioneer of girl child education passes away
Guwahati: A pioneer of girl child education
in the north eastern region, 100-year-old Salesian nun
Margaret Greppi died here on Monday.
Sr Margaret, who worked in the field of education for
the past 75 years, passed away at St John`s Hospital at about
3.40 am due to old age ailments, St Mary`s English High School
(Maligaon) headmistress Sister Catherine said.
Born at Partengo, Vercelli in Italy on January 12, 1912,
she was initiated in the religious order founded by Salesian
missionary Don Bosco at Nizza Monferrato in 1935 at the age of
The young nun left for India at the age 24 in 1936 and
chose the northeast as her field for work and successfully
motivated parents to send their daughters to school.
Sr Margaret worked as a catalyst for building various
institutions including St Mary`s English Higher Secondary
School and Holy Child School in Guwahati, St Joseph`s at
Tezpur, Auxilium at Tangla, besides Sacred Heart at Mawlai in
Having spent most of her life in Assam, she was closely
associated with the people who fondly remember her as someone
very kind, patient, available at all time. Her love for the
poor and the needy had made the nun an epitome of help.
Sr Margaret`s Requiem Mass was held here at St Mary`s
Maligaon where the Salesain sisters and her students-- past
and present-- as well as their parents and well wishers
mourned the death.
There will also be a concelebrated Requiem Mass at St
Mary`s Convent Chapel, Guwahati, tomorrow followed by the
funeral cortege to the Uzan Bazar cemetery here, said Salesian
Guwahati Provincial Sr Teresa Puthenpurakel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India