Pioneer of girl child education passes away
Guwahati: A pioneer of girl child education
in the north eastern region, 100-year-old Salesian nun
Margaret Greppi died here on Monday.
Sr Margaret, who worked in the field of education for
the past 75 years, passed away at St John`s Hospital at about
3.40 am due to old age ailments, St Mary`s English High School
(Maligaon) headmistress Sister Catherine said.
Born at Partengo, Vercelli in Italy on January 12, 1912,
she was initiated in the religious order founded by Salesian
missionary Don Bosco at Nizza Monferrato in 1935 at the age of
The young nun left for India at the age 24 in 1936 and
chose the northeast as her field for work and successfully
motivated parents to send their daughters to school.
Sr Margaret worked as a catalyst for building various
institutions including St Mary`s English Higher Secondary
School and Holy Child School in Guwahati, St Joseph`s at
Tezpur, Auxilium at Tangla, besides Sacred Heart at Mawlai in
Having spent most of her life in Assam, she was closely
associated with the people who fondly remember her as someone
very kind, patient, available at all time. Her love for the
poor and the needy had made the nun an epitome of help.
Sr Margaret`s Requiem Mass was held here at St Mary`s
Maligaon where the Salesain sisters and her students-- past
and present-- as well as their parents and well wishers
mourned the death.
There will also be a concelebrated Requiem Mass at St
Mary`s Convent Chapel, Guwahati, tomorrow followed by the
funeral cortege to the Uzan Bazar cemetery here, said Salesian
Guwahati Provincial Sr Teresa Puthenpurakel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing