PLA militant arrested while trying to cross over to Bangladesh
Shillong: Security forces arrested a hardcore PLA militant of Manipur while he was trying to cross over the international border at Dawki in East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, sources said on Wednesday.
The self-styled Lieutenant of the Manipur outfit was identified as Athokpam Surchandra Singh and is currently the area secretary of Imphal (West) division, they said.
Singh was apprehended by the BSF last midnight while he was trying to cross over to Bangladesh from Dawki area, BSF officials said.
During preliminary investigation, it was revealed that the 43-year-old Singh had joined PLA in 1993.
He admitted to have been involved in organisational work for the PLA in Bangladesh and had entered India last December, the BSF said.
The BSF recovered Rs 8,735 and a mobile phone from Singh`s possession.
Meanwhile, the BSF also seized 122 bottles of Genosidyl (another brand of Phensedyl cough syrup) besides other seizures along the border in Jaintia Hills district of the state in the past 24 hours.
The 433 km-long international border with Bangladesh in Meghalaya is often considered by NE militant groups as a safe passage to Bangladesh considering that majority of the stretch is unfenced, has rough terrain and difficult to man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people