Plan panel to examine states` complaints on Finance Commission
Agartala: The Planning Commission has constituted a high level committee to look into complaints that the 13th Finance Commission (2010-2015) has deprived many states like Tripura of its resources, a state minister said Friday.
"The 13th Finance Commission has deprived the special category states, including northeastern states, in recommending its awards and recommendations," Tripura Finance Minister Badal Chaudhury told reporters.
"In view of the unjustified recommendations of the TFC, the resource-starved states have been facing severe financial crisis. We are now eagerly awaiting the proposal of the Planning Commission constituted committee, formed recently," Chaudhury said.
Besides the eight northeastern states, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand are categorised as special category states and are getting special financial assistance from the centre and various monetary panels.
"Out of 28 states in India, for five states the total award given by the TFC remains higher, in the range of more than 150 percent, compared with 12th Finance Commission. For 15 states, the increase compared with previous commissions remained in the range 100 to 150 percent, while for five states, the raise remained little less than 100 percent," Chaudhury said in a letter to union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
"In case of three states, the percentage of increase remained far less compared with other states. These are Himachal Pradesh 50.11 percent, Tripura 55.96 percent and Uttarakhand 66.54 percent."
"Among the three states, the resource base of Tripura is the narrowest," Chaudhury said, adding that recommendations are neither a reflection of ground realities nor sympathetic to the state which has an excellent track record of prudent financial management.
The 13th Finance Commission, headed by economist and former union finance secretary Vijay Kelkar, was set up by a presidential order of Nov 13, 2007, to make recommendations on the tax devolution between the federal government and the states, and how to augment resources.
The commission`s recommendations were accepted by the central government in February this year.
In a separate letter to Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Chaudhury urged that the Tripura government be allowed open market borrowing as per the scheme of financing (SOF) of the commission to overcome the current fiscal situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared