Plan panel yet to tap northeast resources: Tripura governor
Agartala: Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar Sunday criticised the Planning Commission for not taking suitable steps to harness the natural and human resources of the northeast.
"Tripura and other northeastern states have huge untapped natural and human resources. The Planning Commission is yet to take appropriate steps to exploit these resources," Konwar said after unfurling the Tricolour at the Assam Rifles Ground here.
"Tripura has been making appreciable progress in different sectors. The extremists activities in Tripura have been reduced and the law and order situation has been by and large normal," he said.
Stressing on the need to improve the connectivity of the northeast region, the governor said if suitably developed, the Agartala airport could be a hub for the air operations involving the entire northeastern region and neighbouring countries.
Defying boycott calls by militant groups, people of Tripura joined the Republic Day celebrations with great zeal and enthusiasm. People came out in large numbers to participate in celebrations in towns and villages across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Curfew continues across Kashmir Valley as separatists extend shutdown till Monday
- France committed to leading Israel-Palestine talks: Hollande
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims