Plan panel yet to tap northeast resources: Tripura governor
Agartala: Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar Sunday criticised the Planning Commission for not taking suitable steps to harness the natural and human resources of the northeast.
"Tripura and other northeastern states have huge untapped natural and human resources. The Planning Commission is yet to take appropriate steps to exploit these resources," Konwar said after unfurling the Tricolour at the Assam Rifles Ground here.
"Tripura has been making appreciable progress in different sectors. The extremists activities in Tripura have been reduced and the law and order situation has been by and large normal," he said.
Stressing on the need to improve the connectivity of the northeast region, the governor said if suitably developed, the Agartala airport could be a hub for the air operations involving the entire northeastern region and neighbouring countries.
Defying boycott calls by militant groups, people of Tripura joined the Republic Day celebrations with great zeal and enthusiasm. People came out in large numbers to participate in celebrations in towns and villages across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown