Plan panel yet to tap northeast resources: Tripura governor
Agartala: Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar Sunday criticised the Planning Commission for not taking suitable steps to harness the natural and human resources of the northeast.
"Tripura and other northeastern states have huge untapped natural and human resources. The Planning Commission is yet to take appropriate steps to exploit these resources," Konwar said after unfurling the Tricolour at the Assam Rifles Ground here.
"Tripura has been making appreciable progress in different sectors. The extremists activities in Tripura have been reduced and the law and order situation has been by and large normal," he said.
Stressing on the need to improve the connectivity of the northeast region, the governor said if suitably developed, the Agartala airport could be a hub for the air operations involving the entire northeastern region and neighbouring countries.
Defying boycott calls by militant groups, people of Tripura joined the Republic Day celebrations with great zeal and enthusiasm. People came out in large numbers to participate in celebrations in towns and villages across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city