Plan panel yet to tap northeast resources: Tripura governor
Agartala: Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar Sunday criticised the Planning Commission for not taking suitable steps to harness the natural and human resources of the northeast.
"Tripura and other northeastern states have huge untapped natural and human resources. The Planning Commission is yet to take appropriate steps to exploit these resources," Konwar said after unfurling the Tricolour at the Assam Rifles Ground here.
"Tripura has been making appreciable progress in different sectors. The extremists activities in Tripura have been reduced and the law and order situation has been by and large normal," he said.
Stressing on the need to improve the connectivity of the northeast region, the governor said if suitably developed, the Agartala airport could be a hub for the air operations involving the entire northeastern region and neighbouring countries.
Defying boycott calls by militant groups, people of Tripura joined the Republic Day celebrations with great zeal and enthusiasm. People came out in large numbers to participate in celebrations in towns and villages across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Sensex falls for second straight session, cracks below 28,000-mark
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh