Plan panel yet to tap northeast resources: Tripura governor
Agartala: Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar Sunday criticised the Planning Commission for not taking suitable steps to harness the natural and human resources of the northeast.
"Tripura and other northeastern states have huge untapped natural and human resources. The Planning Commission is yet to take appropriate steps to exploit these resources," Konwar said after unfurling the Tricolour at the Assam Rifles Ground here.
"Tripura has been making appreciable progress in different sectors. The extremists activities in Tripura have been reduced and the law and order situation has been by and large normal," he said.
Stressing on the need to improve the connectivity of the northeast region, the governor said if suitably developed, the Agartala airport could be a hub for the air operations involving the entire northeastern region and neighbouring countries.
Defying boycott calls by militant groups, people of Tripura joined the Republic Day celebrations with great zeal and enthusiasm. People came out in large numbers to participate in celebrations in towns and villages across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured