PM gives Rs1,000 crore for quake-hit Sikkim
Gangtok: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday announced a Rs.1,000 crore grant to Sikkim to tide over the devastation caused by the Sep 18 earthquake that killed 80 people and caused large scale damage to private property.
"The Prime Minister announced a Rs.1,000 crore package to Sikkim and also assured all help and cooperation from the central government to fight the tragedy and devastation caused by the earthquake," a Sikkim government spokesperson said.
Manmohan Singh made the announcement during a meeting with Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling at capital Gangtok.
The Prime Minister earlier made an aerial survey of the worst affected north Sikkim region in an Indian Air Force helicopter. He also met some of the injured at the Sikkim Manipal Hospital here.
Manmohan Singh leaves for New Delhi by 4 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city