PM gives Rs1,000 crore for quake-hit Sikkim
Gangtok: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday announced a Rs.1,000 crore grant to Sikkim to tide over the devastation caused by the Sep 18 earthquake that killed 80 people and caused large scale damage to private property.
"The Prime Minister announced a Rs.1,000 crore package to Sikkim and also assured all help and cooperation from the central government to fight the tragedy and devastation caused by the earthquake," a Sikkim government spokesperson said.
Manmohan Singh made the announcement during a meeting with Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling at capital Gangtok.
The Prime Minister earlier made an aerial survey of the worst affected north Sikkim region in an Indian Air Force helicopter. He also met some of the injured at the Sikkim Manipal Hospital here.
Manmohan Singh leaves for New Delhi by 4 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!