PM gives Rs1,000 crore for quake-hit Sikkim
Gangtok: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday announced a Rs.1,000 crore grant to Sikkim to tide over the devastation caused by the Sep 18 earthquake that killed 80 people and caused large scale damage to private property.
"The Prime Minister announced a Rs.1,000 crore package to Sikkim and also assured all help and cooperation from the central government to fight the tragedy and devastation caused by the earthquake," a Sikkim government spokesperson said.
Manmohan Singh made the announcement during a meeting with Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling at capital Gangtok.
The Prime Minister earlier made an aerial survey of the worst affected north Sikkim region in an Indian Air Force helicopter. He also met some of the injured at the Sikkim Manipal Hospital here.
Manmohan Singh leaves for New Delhi by 4 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?