PM promises to empower tribal bodies
Shillong: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday promised to empower tribal governing bodies and improve women?s representation in decision-making bodies in poll-bound Meghalaya.
"We will empower self-governing bodies and work for greater say of women in administrative decision making as we believe that this will help Meghalaya get more benefits from Central schemes being implemented in the state," the Prime Minister told an election meeting at the Polo grounds here.
Highlighting the achievements of the Congress-led Meghalaya United Alliance government in Meghalaya and the UPA government at the Centre, Singh said, "The UPA has been able to achieve faster reduction in poverty than ever before.
"The rate at which the percentage of the poor people declined since 2004 is about two and a half times that of the previous decade," he said.
Observing that Meghalaya was one of the fastest growing states not only in the North Eastern region, but across the country, he said Meghalaya’s economic growth doubled to Rs 4000 crore in the last three years projecting the state at a faster growth rate than targeted in the 11th Plan.
Lauding the state for utilising resources provided by the Centre under its flagship programmes, he said "the party provided an honest, transparent and effective administration which took care of the poor and the underprivileged."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH