PM should not campaign in Meghalaya: UDP
Shillong: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should not campaign in Assembly elections in Meghalaya to make competition among state parties equal, Opposition United Democratic Party (UDP) today said.
"We expect state elections to be among equals and therefore, the Prime Minister should not campaign for the Congress henceforth," Opposition Leader Donkupar Roy said while participating in the debate on Governor’s address on the second day of the Budget session here.
Appreciating the Governor R S Mooshahary`s statement in the House that last month`s Assembly elections were held in a peaceful manner, Roy said he did not know if the elections were really held in a "free and fair" manner with the Prime Minister campaigning for his party in the state.
The UDP, the main regional party which won the maximum number of seats (eight out of 60 seats), demanded that the Prime Minister should refrain from campaigning in state politics in future.
"What ever happened, it was in the past. We expect henceforth that the elections in the state be among equals," Roy said.
He also said, "I do not know how you define free and fair when people do not have confidence in the functioning of EVMs."
The Congress won 29 seats out of 60, two short of attaining absolute majority and went on to form the MUA-II government with support of NCP and Independent MLAs. The Opposition UDP won only eight and the other regional party, the Hills State People’s Democratic Party (HSPDP) won four seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Shocking! Huge fire engulfs two coaches of Jaisalmer-Delhi Intercity Express
- Huma Qureshi-Vidyut Jammwal's Gold Glare Selfie! See pic
- Arvind Kejriwal wishes his once arch political rival Kiran Bedi on her elevation as Puducherry Guv
- I see an outset of a footballing atmosphere in India: Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Two lions killed as man jumps into enclosure in attempt to commit suicide - Watch video