Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Megha
Shillong: A police commando was killed and another injured Tuesday in a fierce gunfight with Garo rebels in west Meghalaya, even as security forces busted a joint training camp for insurgents in the area, police said.
The gunfight broke out when Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants opened fire at a team of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team backed by Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) commandos raiding their hideout at Nabokgre in the district.
"A CoBRA commando was killed while a sub-inspector was critically wounded in the gunbattle," state police chief N Ramachandran told IANS.
The wounded commando was flown to an army base hospital at Guwahati, while a hunt is on to trace the rebels who fled after the shootout, he added.
On Monday, security forces busted a joint training camp of the GNLA and the United Liberation Front of Asom at Memanang in East Garo Hills.
"We have busted the training camp of ULFA and GNLA (Monday) evening after a fierce gunbattle with the rebels in the foothills of Durama," Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Rajiv Mehta told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery