Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Megha
Shillong: A police commando was killed and another injured Tuesday in a fierce gunfight with Garo rebels in west Meghalaya, even as security forces busted a joint training camp for insurgents in the area, police said.
The gunfight broke out when Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants opened fire at a team of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team backed by Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) commandos raiding their hideout at Nabokgre in the district.
"A CoBRA commando was killed while a sub-inspector was critically wounded in the gunbattle," state police chief N Ramachandran told IANS.
The wounded commando was flown to an army base hospital at Guwahati, while a hunt is on to trace the rebels who fled after the shootout, he added.
On Monday, security forces busted a joint training camp of the GNLA and the United Liberation Front of Asom at Memanang in East Garo Hills.
"We have busted the training camp of ULFA and GNLA (Monday) evening after a fierce gunbattle with the rebels in the foothills of Durama," Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Rajiv Mehta told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug