Police fires in the air to disperse mob in Rangiya
Rangiya, Assam: Police today opened fire
to disperse a mob which ransacked the office of the forest
department following the recovery of a students` leader body
in Assam`s Kamrup (Rural) district today, police sources said.
More than a thousand people ransacked the office of the
Forest department after the highly decomposed body of Non
Tribals Students` Union leader Arup Kalita was recovered from
a pond near the office at Kukurmara area in Chaygaon town, the
Kalita was missing since August 25 last year and his
driving license and body was recovered from the pond when its
water was pumped out, they said.
The police first burst tear gas shells and then fired
seven rounds in the air to disperse the mob, they claimed
adding that there was, however, no report of any casualty or
injury in the firing.
Senior police and civil officers have rushed to the spot
and brought the situation under control though tension
continues to prevail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday