Police injured as shops ransacked in Shillong
Shillong: At least five persons and a
sub-inspector of police were injured today as suspected
activists of Khasi Students Union went on the rampage,
damaging over a dozen shops in Shillong.
Shutters of the shops on G S Road went down as soon as
the incident took place and security personnel have been
deployed to control the situation, the police said.
"At least five shopkeepers suffered injury, when the mob
attacked them. A police SI P G Momin was injured and nine
persons, mostly activists of KSU, have been detained in this
connection," DSP (Crime) Vivek Syiem told PTI.
He said the police personnel rushed to the spot and
chased away the miscreants.
KSU president Samuel Jyrwa told reporters they were
evicting illegal migrants, who were posing as hawkers and
vendors. "Some of them had attacked the students, prompting
them to retaliate," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves