Police injured as shops ransacked in Shillong
Shillong: At least five persons and a
sub-inspector of police were injured today as suspected
activists of Khasi Students Union went on the rampage,
damaging over a dozen shops in Shillong.
Shutters of the shops on G S Road went down as soon as
the incident took place and security personnel have been
deployed to control the situation, the police said.
"At least five shopkeepers suffered injury, when the mob
attacked them. A police SI P G Momin was injured and nine
persons, mostly activists of KSU, have been detained in this
connection," DSP (Crime) Vivek Syiem told PTI.
He said the police personnel rushed to the spot and
chased away the miscreants.
KSU president Samuel Jyrwa told reporters they were
evicting illegal migrants, who were posing as hawkers and
vendors. "Some of them had attacked the students, prompting
them to retaliate," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends