Police lathicharge Opposition protestors
Guwahati: Police batoncharged and teargassed
supporters of Opposition parties to prevent them from entering
Assam secretariat during their `Dispur Chalo` rally here to
protest against the multi-crore rupees scam in N C Hills
District Autonomous Council and price rise.
Official sources said several political party supporters,
including women, were injured in the police action.
The batoncharge and teargassing took place when over 4000
agitators attempted to break the barricades put up by the
police and CRPF and enter the high-security Dispur area led by
the main opposition party Asom Gana Parishad (AGP).
Other opposition parties the BJP, AUDF, CPI and CPI-M too
participated in the rally.
They held an impromptu public meeting when they were not
allowed to proceed and the leaders included among others, AGP
president Chandra Mohan Patowary, his predecessor Prafulla
Kumar, BJP president Ranjit Dutta, AUDF president Badruddin
Ajmal and state CPI leader Promode Gogoi.
One person was killed and 27 AGP workers from Morigaon
district were injured when their bus turned turtle near
Khanapara here as they were proceeding for the rally, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers