Police use teargas to disperse agitating students in Manipur
Imphal: The police on Friday used teargas to prevent agitating students in Manipur from marching to the state Assembly demanding immediate implementation of the inner line permit system in the state.
The police said the students were trying to march to the Assembly complex at Chingmeirong on the outskirts of Imphal from three different points.
At least four students suffered minor injuries in a lathicharge on the students near Churachand Higher Secondary School in the city, the police said.
Official sources said a resolution was adopted in the ongoing Assembly session on June 13 urging the Centre to take steps for implementation of the ILP system, while various social organisations and Joint Committee on ILP System (JCILPS) said the ILP system could be implemented by enacting a legislation in the Assembly.
A spokesman of the JCILPS, which has been spearheading the stir, said they in consultation with various social organisations and students` bodies would intensify their `democratic` agitation.
"We are not against any non-Manipuri in the state, but we must protect and save our indigenous identities of different communities before it is too late," he observed.
Official reports from other districts said people in groups have been sitting at various parts of the state to support the stir for implementation of the ILP system.
The ILP system is in force in neighouring Nagaland, Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!