Policemen sent to Mizo border to secure villagers
Aizawl: A large number of armed police personnel were sent to the northeastern part of Mizoram adjoining Manipur to assure the people of the area inhabited mainly by Hmar ethnic group that they should have confidence in the government, state Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here on Saturday.
Lalzirliana said that the people of the area, being intimidated by the militants of Manipur-based Hmar People`s Convention-Democrats (HPC-D) required assurances from the government.
"The state police marched in the area to instill confidence in the minds of the people," he said.
The move came close on the heels of HPC-D insurgents sending extortion notes to the village leaders of the areas and also intimidated Young Mizo Association (YMA) branches to abolish their units.
Lalzirliana said that the border police outposts in the area would be strengthened and better fire power and two or three additional police outposts would be established in the area to meet the latest challenges of the Hmar militancy.
Meanwhile, majority of YMA branches inside the `Demand Area` of the HPC-D submitted their assets to the central committee of the YMA as ordered by the HPC-D led by its new leader H Sangbera.
The YMA and local people in Mizoram-Assam border Vairengte town and surrounding areas, however, defied the threats of the HPC-D and urged the Hmar militant group to explain their moves in return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing