Political parties caution Meghalaya govt against influx
Shillong: With ethnic violence unabated in neighbouring Assam, political parties and student bodies have asked Meghalaya government to pre-empt any possible influx of Bangladeshi migrants into the state.
"The government should alert the police and take all necessary steps to prevent any possible influx of refugees into Meghalaya", Paul Lyngdoh, working president of the United Democratic Party, a major constituent of the Congress-led coalition partner in the Meghalaya United Alliance government, said on Thursday.
The party has cautioned the government against any `complacency? in view of the ongoing turmoil in Assam.
On the other hand, Khasi Students Union (KSU) submitted a memorandum to Home Minister HDR Lyngdoh today urging the government to tighten vigil at infiltration check gates near the inter-state boundary.
In the wake of reports that people of a particular were trying to enter Meghalaya following the communal flare-up in Assam, KSU urged the state government to strengthen its anti-infiltration wing.
"We fear that Bangladeshis will enter the state to avoid the clash in Southern Assam", a student leader said.
"The government should act immediately before it is too late. We will not allow Meghalaya to become another Assam where the indigenous population has been reduced to a minority", he said.
Police said vigil has been mounted along Meghalaya`s boundary with Assam to thwart any possible influx of riot victims into Meghalaya from the violence-hit neighbouring state.
"We are maintaining constant vigil to ensure that no illegal Bangladeshi migrant enters the state from Assam", an official of the infiltration wing of the state Home department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack