Political parties in Manipur welcome poll schedule
Imphal: Political parties in Manipur on Sunday welcomed the January 28 single-phase poll schedule announced by the Election Commission of India (ECI).
"We warmly welcome the schedule of the Assembly poll on January 28. There will be no change in the campaign strategy of our party as we are fully prepared for the election," said ruling Congress party president Gaikhangam.
"Since the people have faith in the Congress and the party-led Secular Progressive Front government, we will win an absolute majority in the coming polls," Gaikhangam told reporters here.
Main opposition party, Manipur People`s Party (MPP), also expressed satisfaction with the "early poll date."
MPP president Nimaichand Luwang said that they were ready to fight the Congress in the ensuing elections any time.
He said that MPP would sign a prepoll alliance with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and would also announce alliance with like-minded parties in the next few days.
The present strength of the 60-member Manipur legislative assembly is: Ruling (Congress 31 and CPI 4). Opposition MPP (4), Independents 10, Rashtriya Janata Dal 3, National People`s Party 3 and NCP-4.
Counting of votes would be taken up on March 4 along with Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarkhand and Goa which are also going to polls in Janjuary and February, as announced by the Election Commission yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users