Poll expenses have doubled in five years in Tripura
Agartala: The budget for the February 14 Assembly Elections in Tripura has more than doubled compared to the last polls in 2008, an official said here on Saturday.
"The budget to conduct the Assembly Elections was Rs 8 crore in 2008 in Tripura. For the Feb 14 elections, it would be Rs 20 crore," Tripura Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ashutosh Jindal told reporters here.
He said: "As Tripura has 60 Assembly segments (seats), per Assembly constituency, election management spending would be Rs 33.33 lakh."
The steep rise in polling expenses is caused, in the main, by the hike in price of paper, increased transportation costs, which also push up the cost of bringing paramilitary troopers for security during the polls, and the hike in allowances to officials involved in the process.
The maximum limit of per candidate expenditure stipulated by the Election Commission in three poll-bound northeastern states is Rs 8 lakh.
The CEO said that the Election Commission has appointed one expenditure observer for each district to oversee the expenses of the candidates and their parties, and to monitor any illegal monetary deals.
The official said that during the 2008 Assembly Elections, 37 candidates of various parties and independents have been disqualified; they have been barred from contesting elections for six years.
Besides Left-ruled Tripura (Feb 14), two more northeastern states -- Meghalaya and Nagaland -- will go to polls on Feb 23.
Results of all three states` Assembly polls will be announced Feb 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly