Poor rain creates power shortage in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya is reeling under a power crisis, with its only hydel plant at Umiam on the outskirts of Shillong producing less than 30 per cent of its capacity due to less rain.
"The 185-MW Umiam Project is producing only about 57-59 MW. The demand for power in the state is over 550 MW," Power Minister A T Mondol told reporters.
The seasonal rainfall in Meghalaya, according to Met office, has been around 25 per cent less so far this season.
Mondol said the state currently is buying over 150 MW from PowerGrid but that is insufficient to meet the demand. The state spent Rs 223.87 crore to buy power last year.
The expenditure incurred during the dry season is high, with the state spending Rs 25 crore for the purpose in January last year.
The provisional average rate at which the power is bought during the year 2009-10 is Rs 2.97 per unit, while it was being sold at Rs 3.71 per unit. The state has a hydro-power potential of about 3,000 MW.
Meghalaya cabinet had recently approved a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) to be signed with the state-run North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO) for executing two power projects in Meghalaya.
The MoA for a 500 MW thermal power project in Garo Hills and the 85-MW Mawphu Stage-II hydel project will be signed shortly and the minister hoped that the power scene
would improve once the projects come up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload