Power dept engineers released by GNLA
Shillong: Two power department engineers,
abducted by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), were released late
Saturday night after 12 days at a jungle near their official
quarters in West Garo Hills district, police said on Sunday.
"The two officials were released late last night at
around 10.30 pm and no harm was done to them," Meghalaya
Director General of Police (DGP) N Ramachandran said.
Police said the condemnation of the abduction from all
quarters had caused the outfit to release unconditionally the
two Meghalaya Energy Corporation engineers – A Pohthmi and
B Majaw at a jungle near their official quarters at Rongkhon,
7 km from the Tura, the district headquarter.
Three power engineers were abducted on January 24 by
AK47 toting cadres of the GNLA to protest against alleged poor
power connectivity in the three districts of the Garo Hills.
One of them was later released.
The GNLA, deemed as a terrorist outfit by the Centre on
January 12, is demanding Garoland and withdrawal of security
forces from the three districts.
Formed by a former deputy superintendent of police
Pakchara R Sangma alias Champion R Sangma, the outfit has been
involved in abduction, killing and extortion in the three Garo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!