Power dept engineers released by GNLA
Shillong: Two power department engineers,
abducted by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), were released late
Saturday night after 12 days at a jungle near their official
quarters in West Garo Hills district, police said on Sunday.
"The two officials were released late last night at
around 10.30 pm and no harm was done to them," Meghalaya
Director General of Police (DGP) N Ramachandran said.
Police said the condemnation of the abduction from all
quarters had caused the outfit to release unconditionally the
two Meghalaya Energy Corporation engineers – A Pohthmi and
B Majaw at a jungle near their official quarters at Rongkhon,
7 km from the Tura, the district headquarter.
Three power engineers were abducted on January 24 by
AK47 toting cadres of the GNLA to protest against alleged poor
power connectivity in the three districts of the Garo Hills.
One of them was later released.
The GNLA, deemed as a terrorist outfit by the Centre on
January 12, is demanding Garoland and withdrawal of security
forces from the three districts.
Formed by a former deputy superintendent of police
Pakchara R Sangma alias Champion R Sangma, the outfit has been
involved in abduction, killing and extortion in the three Garo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy