Power dept engineers released by GNLA
Shillong: Two power department engineers,
abducted by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), were released late
Saturday night after 12 days at a jungle near their official
quarters in West Garo Hills district, police said on Sunday.
"The two officials were released late last night at
around 10.30 pm and no harm was done to them," Meghalaya
Director General of Police (DGP) N Ramachandran said.
Police said the condemnation of the abduction from all
quarters had caused the outfit to release unconditionally the
two Meghalaya Energy Corporation engineers – A Pohthmi and
B Majaw at a jungle near their official quarters at Rongkhon,
7 km from the Tura, the district headquarter.
Three power engineers were abducted on January 24 by
AK47 toting cadres of the GNLA to protest against alleged poor
power connectivity in the three districts of the Garo Hills.
One of them was later released.
The GNLA, deemed as a terrorist outfit by the Centre on
January 12, is demanding Garoland and withdrawal of security
forces from the three districts.
Formed by a former deputy superintendent of police
Pakchara R Sangma alias Champion R Sangma, the outfit has been
involved in abduction, killing and extortion in the three Garo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets