Powerful blast near Manipur CM’s residence
Imphal: For the second time in four days, a powerful bomb exploded close to Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh`s official residence on Wednesday evening on the eve of Independence Day.
There was no casualty, official sources said.
The bomb, an improvised explosive device, exploded at around 6:20 PM, 300 metre from the chief minister`s official residence, in front of the City Convention Centre and near the state police headquarters, the sources said.
They said that the insurgents placed the IED on the footpath and possibly used a remote control device to explode it.
A police team led by DIG (Law and Order) Clay Khongsai blocked all exit routes and checked passers-by after the explosion, the sources said.
It was not immediately known how the insurgents infiltrated the high-security area and planted the bomb.
There were few people on the streets when the bomb went off in view of the boycott call of Independence Day celebrations by a coordination committee of six major insurgent organisations.
This evening`s explosion followed a grenade blast in front of the chief minister`s residence on August 10 for which militant outfit People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-P) had claimed responsibility.
The sources said police would investigate if there was any lacunae in security deployment as there was 24-hour patrolling in the capital complex.
Police have also been keeping vigil in non-VIP areas like Bamon Leikai, Mahabali, Keisampat, Imphal market complex, Uripok, Wangkhei surrounding the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands