Powerful blast near Manipur CM’s residence
Imphal: For the second time in four days, a powerful bomb exploded close to Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh`s official residence on Wednesday evening on the eve of Independence Day.
There was no casualty, official sources said.
The bomb, an improvised explosive device, exploded at around 6:20 PM, 300 metre from the chief minister`s official residence, in front of the City Convention Centre and near the state police headquarters, the sources said.
They said that the insurgents placed the IED on the footpath and possibly used a remote control device to explode it.
A police team led by DIG (Law and Order) Clay Khongsai blocked all exit routes and checked passers-by after the explosion, the sources said.
It was not immediately known how the insurgents infiltrated the high-security area and planted the bomb.
There were few people on the streets when the bomb went off in view of the boycott call of Independence Day celebrations by a coordination committee of six major insurgent organisations.
This evening`s explosion followed a grenade blast in front of the chief minister`s residence on August 10 for which militant outfit People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-P) had claimed responsibility.
The sources said police would investigate if there was any lacunae in security deployment as there was 24-hour patrolling in the capital complex.
Police have also been keeping vigil in non-VIP areas like Bamon Leikai, Mahabali, Keisampat, Imphal market complex, Uripok, Wangkhei surrounding the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof