Powerful blast near Manipur CM’s residence
Imphal: For the second time in four days, a powerful bomb exploded close to Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh`s official residence on Wednesday evening on the eve of Independence Day.
There was no casualty, official sources said.
The bomb, an improvised explosive device, exploded at around 6:20 PM, 300 metre from the chief minister`s official residence, in front of the City Convention Centre and near the state police headquarters, the sources said.
They said that the insurgents placed the IED on the footpath and possibly used a remote control device to explode it.
A police team led by DIG (Law and Order) Clay Khongsai blocked all exit routes and checked passers-by after the explosion, the sources said.
It was not immediately known how the insurgents infiltrated the high-security area and planted the bomb.
There were few people on the streets when the bomb went off in view of the boycott call of Independence Day celebrations by a coordination committee of six major insurgent organisations.
This evening`s explosion followed a grenade blast in front of the chief minister`s residence on August 10 for which militant outfit People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-P) had claimed responsibility.
The sources said police would investigate if there was any lacunae in security deployment as there was 24-hour patrolling in the capital complex.
Police have also been keeping vigil in non-VIP areas like Bamon Leikai, Mahabali, Keisampat, Imphal market complex, Uripok, Wangkhei surrounding the state capital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know