Powerful bomb explosion at official`s house in Manipur
Imphal: Unidentified militants exploded a powerful bomb on Thursday at the house of a senior Manipur government official damaging two vehicles and parts of the wall in Imphal east district but no casualty was reported.
The militants lobbed the bomb at the house of deputy director (soil) of agriculture department, Pheiroijam Rajendro in which two vehicles and parts of the front wall of the house at Soibam Leikai area here were partly damaged, police said.
This was the fourth time in the past few months the militants hurled the bomb at the house of Rajendro, who alongwith his family were present at the time of the incident.
Condemning the explosion of bomb at thickly populated area, local residents launched a sit-in protest. A participant in the sit-in said that if there was `any misunderstanding` between the official and attackers, they could have held talks to sort out their differences.
Police said they would investigate whether the incident was connected with extortion while sources in the family said some militants had demanded a huge amount of money.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility, sources said adding that police forces were deployed at various parts of Imphal city under which Soibam Leikai area falls.
Police said roving patrol at different parts of the city has been stepped up besides alerting police outposts to intensify frisking and checking of passers-by to intercept movement of armed ultras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...