`Powerful men behind Arunachal scribe shooting`
Itanagar: Two bodies of scribes in Arunachal Pradesh Thursday expressed concern over the "slow pace" of investigation into journalist Tongam Rina shooting case of July 15 last year in which "powerful people" were allegedly involved.
In a joint statement, the Arunachal Press Club (APC) and the Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalists today alleged that the police were trying to shield the culprit as powerful people were involved in the case.
Gunmen shot and seriously injured Tongam Rina, associate editor of the Arunachal Times from close range when she was entering her office in the evening that day.
Rina had meanwhile recovered and resumed her duties in the paper, the first English newspaper of the state owned by former chief minister Gegong Apang, but journalists were unhappy as there was no progress in the case.
Initially scribes were given to understand that the case had been handed over to the CBI, but later there was a report that it was turned down by the CBI. The government did not clarify it despite repeated pleas, the statement said.
So the case was in the hands of the Capital Police but there was no update from them in this regard. When enquired by APC members, some officers privately said "powerful people are involved and therefore it is tough to investigate the case," it said demanding the police to name those "powerful people".
"The way the police are trying to suppress the case, we doubt their integrity and have a general feeling that the police are trying to shield the culprit involved in the case," the two organisations said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17