PPA sets monogamy as pre-condition for party tickets in polls
Itanagar: The People`s Party of Arunachal (PPA) has resolved to set monogamy as a pre-condition for issuing party tickets to aspiring candidates in panchayat, municipality and parliamentary elections.
The decision was taken during a meeting convened by PPA Mahila Council president Kenyir Ringu here yesterday, a party communique said on Wednesday.
The party has put gender equality and women empowerment on its priority list and has decided to oppose polyandry along with polygamy, the release said.
"The rules will be applicable and strictly followed in future and we will continue our campaign against the practice of plural marriage.
"If any candidate is found violating the monogamous norms, they will have to surrender their party membership as well as the post to which they have been elected," Ringu said.
The PPA also said it would be extremely liberal in the matter of reserving seats for women and it was ready to go beyond 33 per cent reservation in case of availability of suitable women candidates.
"It is the PPA which gave a ticket to Nyari Welly, who is even today seen as an iconic legislator and a voice for gender equality in the state," Ringu added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog