Praesh Baruah planning terror strikes:Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has said that he has received intelligence inputs suggesting that Paresh Baruah, the commander in chief of the proscribed hard line faction of United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), is planning terror strikes across Assam.
"Intelligence inputs have revealed that Paresh Baruah is planning terror attacks across Assam with help from PLA, Maoists and some other extremist groups of Northeast. But we are determined to foil his plans," said Gogoi.
Though the Arabinda Rajkhowa-led ULFA central committee has declared a unilateral ceasefire with the Centre, ULFA`s Paresh Baruah-led anti talk faction has staunchly opposed the peace moves.
Intelligence reports reveal that Paresh Baruah, who has found shelter in Myanmar, is trying to regroup by joining hands with other north-eastern insurgent groups, including People`s Liberation Army (PLA) and Maoists and plans to carry out terror strikes.
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up across Assam and the state machinery is ready tackle any untoward incident.
"It is the work of the extremist groups to indulge in violence, but we are continuing with are defensive and offensive operations," said Deepak Choudhury, Senior Superintendent of Police, Guwahati.
The government has sent a clear message to Paresh Baruah to the join peace talks to bring stability to the state.
"The protocol of the ULFA has been declared and the government has also responded by giving a statement. I think the Home Minster and the Chief Minister, both have given statements welcoming that and accepting it. Thereafter the meetings will take place at the Joint Secretary level to decide some of the logistics etc. That has been decided by both the Chief Minister and the Home Minister," said PC Haldar, Interlocutor.
According to intelligence reports, Paresh Baruah is operating from Kachin district in Myanmar. India shares over 1600 km long porous border with the neighbouring country.
In July 2010, India and Myanmar signed a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty to prevent cross border terrorism.
India hopes that Baruah who is responsible for decades-old insurgency in Assam will soon be apprehended by Myanmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling