President express concern at deteriorating education standard
Agartala: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday expressed deep concern at the deteriorating standard of education in the country, regretting that not a single university or IIT or NIT found place in the list of top 200 universities of the world.
Addressing the 10th convocation of Tripura University here, Mukhejee said that for about 1,800 years India had dominated the field of higher education.
India was a prominent seat of learning in ancient times and those universities were visited by famous scholars like Panini, Chanakya and Kautilya, he noted.
Saying we cannot allow such a deteriorating situation to continue in education", he told the gathering that there were universities like Nalanda, Taxila and Vikramshila which came into being well before Oxford and Cambridge did, and where students from home and abroad assembled, he said.
Mukherjee said that 84 years ago C V Raman, a scholar from the Calcutta University, won the Nobel Prize and recently another graduate from the same university, Amartya Sen, won the Economics Nobel.
The President expressed dismay at the rise of atrocities against women and appealed to the people to restore values of the country`s ancient civilisation.
We cannot allow this decay. It is time for self introspection. We have to restore our old values. We must have respect for pluralism, moral values and discipline, he said.
Among others, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and Governor Debananda Konwar spoke in the convocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened