President moved over new `tainted` VC of NEHU
Shillong: Two organisations have dashed
off letters to President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil seeking
revocation of the appointment of A N Rai as the vice
chancellor of the North Eastern Hill University (NEHU).
Alleging that the appointment of a controversial
person who has left an unpalatable legacy in his previous
posting as the VC of Mizoram University was against local
sentiments, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People
today said, "We are deeply frustrated with the decision to
appoint a person with tainted credentials".
Rai had earned a bad name after a turmoil at Mizoram
University few months back over a recruitment row.
The influential Khasi Students Union said, "Local
sentiments were completely ignored in the matter of the
appointment of Vice Chancellor in the North Eastern Hill
University (NEHU). Why must local stake holders be not
discussed in the matter?".
"A well-known academician from the region and
preferably a tribal with academic and administrative
experience be appointed as Vice Chancellor in NEHU," the KSU
said in their letter faxed yesterday to the President, who is
also the Visitor of the varsity.
The union also doubted the ability of the search
committee in recommending the name of a controversial person
as the VC of the prestigious NEHU.
Earlier, the general assembly of the teaching and
non-teaching staff had unilaterally declared the senior most
professor of NEHU R P Bajpai as the VC, a day after Rai was
appointed on October 4.
"The assembly is shocked by the appointment of a
tainted man in the prestigious NEHU and opined that it is not
a dumping ground for adjusting discredited Rai as the new VC
of NEHU," chairman of the Joint Action Committee (JAC) of the
teaching and non-teaching staff S B Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news