President okays three high courts in northeast
Agartala: President Pratibha Patil has given her formal approval for setting up separate high courts in three northeastern states -- Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya.
"We received the copy of the much awaited act on Saturday," Tripura`s Law Department Secretary Datamohan Jamatia said.
A cheering Chief Minister said: "A separate high court in Tripura is a result of three decades of struggle."
A bill was passed by the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha last month, paving the way for the creation of separate high courts in the three states.
Jamatia said the high courts would help in speedy disposal of cases, save litigants` time and money, and fulfil a long-standing demand of the states.
According to officials, the high courts are expected to start functioning in three months.
Currently, six northeastern states -- Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh -- have benches of the Guwahati High Court. Sikkim has a separate high court.
In Tripura, over 52,000 cases have been pending in lower courts and 5,000 cases are awaiting disposal in the Agartala bench of the Guwahati High Court, an official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter