President Pranab Mukherjee to visit Sikkim
Darjeeling: President Pranab Mukherjee will lay the foundation stone of the Sikkim University complex at Yangang on April 16, according to official sources.
Sikkim University was established by an act of Parliament on July 2 2007. The university, which has 11 colleges affiliated to it, all in Sikkim, aims to emerge as a higher education hub in the eastern Himalayas.
It is currently running from hired buildings situated in and around Gangtok. Work on the new campus has already started on a 300-acre piece of land at Yangang, 56 kms from Gangtok.
The state government has handed over 265.94 acres of land for the purpose and is in the process of handing over an additional 34.06 acres.
After arrival at Namchi on April 16, the President is scheduled to visit Char Dham at Solophok before proceeding to Yangang.
From Yangang, the President will be flown to Gangtok in the afternoon where he is scheduled to attend a cultural programme at Mannan Kendra.
This will be the first visit of Mukherjee to Sikkim after being elected as the President of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand