President urged to deport illegal settlers from Arunachal
Itanagar: The opposition People`s Party of Arunachal (PPA) has urged President Pranab Mukherjee to arrange for early deportation of illegal Chakma and Hajong settlers from the state.
"Settlement of large number of Chakma and Hajong refugees in different pockets of Arunachal Pradesh has caused serious demographic consequences as well as law and order problems. An early deportation of the illegal settlers through diplomatic initiatives with the government of Bangladesh is urgently required," the PPA said in a memorandum submitted to Mukherjee yesterday.
The party also said that "reckless and unplanned" allocation of more than 200 power projects to various power developers has threatened the sanctity of the Inner Line Regulation Act of 1873.
Further, the central government`s hydro power policy enacted in 2002 also deviated from its policy of protective development vis-a-vis the tribal people of the state, it said.
Arunachal Civil Society, a social body, also submitted a memorandum to Mukerjee urging him to solve the issue of stapled visa given to residents of Arunachal Pradesh by China and also find a solution to the vexed Arunachal-Assam boundary issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack