Prime suspect in drug smuggling case held in Aizwal
Aizawl: Alleged mastermind in the massive smuggling of pseudo-ephedrine from India to Myanmar, Tlangchungnunga has been arrested at the Lengpui Airport by the Mizoram Police.
While no drug was seized from his possession, a number of documents, including suspected fake documents, were seized by the Airport security personnel from Tlangchungnunga here last night.
Tlangchungnunga, alias Pa Tlanga, who claimed to be a Pastor in the Mizo Christian Fellowship in Delhi and knowing Mizo language, is suspected to be a Myanmarese national.
Police said that when he was arrested, he threw away a small bag which was recovered and found to be containing a number of documents, including those printed in Myanmarese language.
He was wanted by the Police in Mizoram-Myanmar border Champhai, who suspected that he was the mastermind behind an organised trafficking of pseudo-ephedrine to Myanmar via Mizoram.
Pseudo-ephedrine is a precursor for illicit manufacturing of drugs like Metamphetamine.
"He was operating from Delhi to smuggle huge quantity of pseudo-ephedrine to Myanmar," a senior Police official said, adding that Pa Tlanga was booked under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 and would be sent to Champhai Police Station.
Crores of rupees worth pseudo-ephedrine tablets intended to have been smuggled to Myanmar were seized by a number of enforcement agencies including the state police, excise and narcotics department officials and customs officials during the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre