Probe fundamentalists` role in Meghalaya ethnic clashes: BJP
Shillong: The Meghalaya BJP on Thursday slammed
the state government for its alleged failure to resolve the
ethnic tensions that erupt along the Assam-Meghalaya border
and sought an inquiry into the reports about the involvement
of fundamentalists groups in the recent flare-up.
"There are reports that fundamentalist groups had a
hand in the ethnic clashes. The government should inquire into
the matter," party`s state unit general secretary Dipayan
He said "people from outside should not be allowed to
take advantage of such situations. They will continue to take
advantage till such conflicts within the country exists."
Alleging that the government of Assam and Meghalaya
had no "control" over the disturbances along the border areas,
the BJP also accused the Congress of trying to cover up its
alleged failure by resorting to a blame game.
Referring to an FIR lodged against Assam BJP MP Bijoya
Chakraborty for allegedly trying to incite communal tension
during the recent clashes, the BJP said, "she as an elected
representative has every right to visit the disturbed places."
"By blaming the opposition parties like BJP and NCP,
the Congress is trying to cover its failure to control the
situation. Even when NCP MP Agatha Sangma had visited the
riot-hit areas, the Congress had lashed out at her," he said.
The BJP also demanded that immediate compensation
should be given to the riot-hit victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'