Probe fundamentalists` role in Meghalaya ethnic clashes: BJP
Shillong: The Meghalaya BJP on Thursday slammed
the state government for its alleged failure to resolve the
ethnic tensions that erupt along the Assam-Meghalaya border
and sought an inquiry into the reports about the involvement
of fundamentalists groups in the recent flare-up.
"There are reports that fundamentalist groups had a
hand in the ethnic clashes. The government should inquire into
the matter," party`s state unit general secretary Dipayan
He said "people from outside should not be allowed to
take advantage of such situations. They will continue to take
advantage till such conflicts within the country exists."
Alleging that the government of Assam and Meghalaya
had no "control" over the disturbances along the border areas,
the BJP also accused the Congress of trying to cover up its
alleged failure by resorting to a blame game.
Referring to an FIR lodged against Assam BJP MP Bijoya
Chakraborty for allegedly trying to incite communal tension
during the recent clashes, the BJP said, "she as an elected
representative has every right to visit the disturbed places."
"By blaming the opposition parties like BJP and NCP,
the Congress is trying to cover its failure to control the
situation. Even when NCP MP Agatha Sangma had visited the
riot-hit areas, the Congress had lashed out at her," he said.
The BJP also demanded that immediate compensation
should be given to the riot-hit victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price