Probe into recovery of bullet from Rahul aide
Agartala: The Tripura Police on Saturday began an inquiry into the recovery of a bullet from the baggage of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s aide and Youth Congress leader Anil Dhantori at the airport here.
"Police have begun investigation over the recovery of the bullet from the baggage of Dhantori under Section 157 (a) of the CrPC (Criminal Procedure Code, 1973)," police officer Babul Das told reporters.
"This is suspected to be a cognizable offence and that`s why the police invoke this Section of the CrPc," he added.
Dhantori, also a member of the Haryana Assembly, came to Tripura early this week to oversee Gandhi`s programme in the state on Thursday.
He was detained by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) at the Agartala airport on Thursday evening after the recovery of a pistol bullet from his hand baggage when he was about to board a Delhi-bound private aircraft.
Police said: "The CISF, following the persuasion of the local Congress leaders, released Dhantori without handing him over to the Tripura Police."
Das said: "The CISF, in a letter to the police, said the Youth Congress leader was released under the BCA (Bureau of Civil Aviation) rules."
Meanwhile, the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Front has demanded a thorough investigation into the incident and proper action against the law-breakers.
CISF troopers following the pressure of the local Congress leaders have released Dhantori "illegally", a Left Front statement said.
Tripura Congress spokesman Tapas Dey said: "Dhantori has an arms license. Convinced by all facts, the CISF have released him. This is not an issue of politics."
Gandhi, accompanied by other party leaders, arrived in Tripura on Thursday from Nagaland via Assam`s main city of Guwahati.
He addressed several meetings on Wednesday in Nagaland and Thursday in Tripura. He left here for New Delhi later Thursday evening by a special aircraft.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview