Probe into recovery of bullet from Rahul aide
Agartala: The Tripura Police on Saturday began an inquiry into the recovery of a bullet from the baggage of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s aide and Youth Congress leader Anil Dhantori at the airport here.
"Police have begun investigation over the recovery of the bullet from the baggage of Dhantori under Section 157 (a) of the CrPC (Criminal Procedure Code, 1973)," police officer Babul Das told reporters.
"This is suspected to be a cognizable offence and that`s why the police invoke this Section of the CrPc," he added.
Dhantori, also a member of the Haryana Assembly, came to Tripura early this week to oversee Gandhi`s programme in the state on Thursday.
He was detained by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) at the Agartala airport on Thursday evening after the recovery of a pistol bullet from his hand baggage when he was about to board a Delhi-bound private aircraft.
Police said: "The CISF, following the persuasion of the local Congress leaders, released Dhantori without handing him over to the Tripura Police."
Das said: "The CISF, in a letter to the police, said the Youth Congress leader was released under the BCA (Bureau of Civil Aviation) rules."
Meanwhile, the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Front has demanded a thorough investigation into the incident and proper action against the law-breakers.
CISF troopers following the pressure of the local Congress leaders have released Dhantori "illegally", a Left Front statement said.
Tripura Congress spokesman Tapas Dey said: "Dhantori has an arms license. Convinced by all facts, the CISF have released him. This is not an issue of politics."
Gandhi, accompanied by other party leaders, arrived in Tripura on Thursday from Nagaland via Assam`s main city of Guwahati.
He addressed several meetings on Wednesday in Nagaland and Thursday in Tripura. He left here for New Delhi later Thursday evening by a special aircraft.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata