Prohibitory orders on NH, economic blockade continues
Shillong: Prohibitory orders were clamped along the National Highway 62 in response to a indefinite night road blockade called since yesterday against the death of a youth in firing in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills.
Police escorts were provided to the few vehicles that plied on the highway.
Additional security personnel led by five magistrates have been deployed to prevent any violence with the clamping of prohibitory orders.
Eight organizations led by the Garo Students Union have called the blockade against the encounter which took place on January 26 at Rongrekre village, near Williamnagar, the district headquarters town and termed the encounter as fake.
One Washington N. Marak was shot dead during the alleged gunbattle while four other persons were arrested on suspicion that they were militants.
The protesting organizations want the government to pay to the next of kin of Marak Rs 50 lakh as compensation and suspension of Circle Inspector TC Chacko who led the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you