Prohibitory orders on NH, economic blockade continues
Shillong: Prohibitory orders were clamped along the National Highway 62 in response to a indefinite night road blockade called since yesterday against the death of a youth in firing in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills.
Police escorts were provided to the few vehicles that plied on the highway.
Additional security personnel led by five magistrates have been deployed to prevent any violence with the clamping of prohibitory orders.
Eight organizations led by the Garo Students Union have called the blockade against the encounter which took place on January 26 at Rongrekre village, near Williamnagar, the district headquarters town and termed the encounter as fake.
One Washington N. Marak was shot dead during the alleged gunbattle while four other persons were arrested on suspicion that they were militants.
The protesting organizations want the government to pay to the next of kin of Marak Rs 50 lakh as compensation and suspension of Circle Inspector TC Chacko who led the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre