Prohibitory orders on NH, economic blockade continues
Shillong: Prohibitory orders were clamped along the National Highway 62 in response to a indefinite night road blockade called since yesterday against the death of a youth in firing in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills.
Police escorts were provided to the few vehicles that plied on the highway.
Additional security personnel led by five magistrates have been deployed to prevent any violence with the clamping of prohibitory orders.
Eight organizations led by the Garo Students Union have called the blockade against the encounter which took place on January 26 at Rongrekre village, near Williamnagar, the district headquarters town and termed the encounter as fake.
One Washington N. Marak was shot dead during the alleged gunbattle while four other persons were arrested on suspicion that they were militants.
The protesting organizations want the government to pay to the next of kin of Marak Rs 50 lakh as compensation and suspension of Circle Inspector TC Chacko who led the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam