Proposed territorial council opposed, bandh call Thursday
Kohima: Protesting the move to form "Dimasa Territorial Council" in the N C Hills district of Assam as part of a political solution to Dimasa insurgency problem, apex organizations of Zeliangrong Naga tribe have called for a 24-hour bandh in the areas inhabited by the community Thursday.
Zeliangrong Baudi (Council) of Assam-Manipur-Nagaland (AMN), Zeliangrong Youth Front (AMN), All Zeliangrong Students’ Union (AMN) have called for the bandh in all the Zeliangrong areas in N C Hills of Assam, Tamenglong, Churachandpur and Senapati districts of Manipur and Peren district of Nagaland on October 4, a statement received here said.
The peace talks between the Union Home ministry and the two groups of Dima Halom Dauga (DHD) have reportedly reached a final stage and a fresh peace deal is likely to be signed soon. The two groups already laid down arms before then Union Home minister P Chidambaram.
Expressing resentment over the proposal to declare N C Hills as Dimasa Territorial Council, Zeliangrong Baudi (AMN) cautioned the Centre and the Assam government that it would "not part even an inch of their land to the proposed council."
Baudi president Raitu Chawang told newsmen yesterday at Dimapur that if the Dimasas demand for territorial council was met it would "result in turmoil and civil war" in N C Hills.
He claimed that the Centre, Assam government and Dimasa leaders would be signing a MoU in New Delhi on October 6 granting Territorial Council status to the Dimasas. He cautioned that if territorial council is granted, then the Zeme, Hmar and Kuki people would "retaliate" and the Centre and the Assam government would be held responsible.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living