Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader
Imphal: Residents of Imphal staged a sit-in demonstration across the region against the visit of leader of National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah, who wants unification and eventual independence of Naga-dominated areas in the north-east.
The protests were held under the auspices of the Apunba Meira Paibi and other local clubs such as the Youth Development Organisation of Thangmeiband Thingel.
Demonstrators burnt effigies of Muviah and Home Minister P. Chidambaram and raised slogans that objected to Muviah`s proposed visit to his ancestral village Somdal in Ukhrul District.
They alleged that Muivah`s homecoming was only a ploy to cause a communal crisis in the state.
"The decision taken by Chidambaram is a secret conspiracy. He has not informed or involved any political leaders of the state. He wants to destroy the integrity of the state, and, we are strongly opposed to it," said K Shyama Devi, a protestor.
Earlier, the All Manipur United Club Organisation (AMUCO) had called for a two-day shutdown in the state.
The NSCN-IM had agreed to a ceasefire in August 1997 and launched a peace process with the Central Government to bring an end to the longest-running insurgency in India.
The rebel group has participated in several rounds of talks with central officials since the start of the ceasefire.
But talks between the two sides have not made progress over the rebels`` main demand of unification and eventual independence of Naga-dominated areas in northeast India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra