Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader
Imphal: Residents of Imphal staged a sit-in demonstration across the region against the visit of leader of National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah, who wants unification and eventual independence of Naga-dominated areas in the north-east.
The protests were held under the auspices of the Apunba Meira Paibi and other local clubs such as the Youth Development Organisation of Thangmeiband Thingel.
Demonstrators burnt effigies of Muviah and Home Minister P. Chidambaram and raised slogans that objected to Muviah`s proposed visit to his ancestral village Somdal in Ukhrul District.
They alleged that Muivah`s homecoming was only a ploy to cause a communal crisis in the state.
"The decision taken by Chidambaram is a secret conspiracy. He has not informed or involved any political leaders of the state. He wants to destroy the integrity of the state, and, we are strongly opposed to it," said K Shyama Devi, a protestor.
Earlier, the All Manipur United Club Organisation (AMUCO) had called for a two-day shutdown in the state.
The NSCN-IM had agreed to a ceasefire in August 1997 and launched a peace process with the Central Government to bring an end to the longest-running insurgency in India.
The rebel group has participated in several rounds of talks with central officials since the start of the ceasefire.
But talks between the two sides have not made progress over the rebels`` main demand of unification and eventual independence of Naga-dominated areas in northeast India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!