Rabha council polls begins amidst tight security
Goalpara/Guwahati: The first phase of Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council polls began Wednesday amidst tight security with more than 50 per cent polling reported till noon in Assam`s Goalpara and Kamrup districts, district officials said.
There was no report of any untoward incidents from any part of the two districts though the run-up to the three- phase poll was marked by violence following widespread protests by non-Rabha organisations demanding their exclusion from the Council areas.
The indefinite `public curfew`` called jointly by the Non-Rabha Coordination Forum and Non-Tribal Students` Union was called off today following Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s appeal to non-Rabha organisations to cooperate during the polls as their demands were being looked into.
Gogoi welcomed the decision of the non-Rabha organisations as it would pave the way for creating a congenial atmosphere to sort out various issues amicably across the negotiation table.
An electorate of 1.22 lakh would exercise their franchise to decide the fate of 65 candidates in 13 constituencies -- seven in Goalpara and six in Kamrup districts.
This is the first election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) since it was set up in 1995 and there are 36 constituencies, all of which have been declared `hyper-sensitive`.
The second and the third phase polls would be held on November 16 and 25 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Banks checking loan applicant's capacity to repay on Facebook, LinkedIn
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South
- Indian Premier League 2016: Did David Warner deserve Most Valuable Player award more than Virat Kohli?
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH