Rabha council polls begins amidst tight security
Goalpara/Guwahati: The first phase of Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council polls began Wednesday amidst tight security with more than 50 per cent polling reported till noon in Assam`s Goalpara and Kamrup districts, district officials said.
There was no report of any untoward incidents from any part of the two districts though the run-up to the three- phase poll was marked by violence following widespread protests by non-Rabha organisations demanding their exclusion from the Council areas.
The indefinite `public curfew`` called jointly by the Non-Rabha Coordination Forum and Non-Tribal Students` Union was called off today following Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s appeal to non-Rabha organisations to cooperate during the polls as their demands were being looked into.
Gogoi welcomed the decision of the non-Rabha organisations as it would pave the way for creating a congenial atmosphere to sort out various issues amicably across the negotiation table.
An electorate of 1.22 lakh would exercise their franchise to decide the fate of 65 candidates in 13 constituencies -- seven in Goalpara and six in Kamrup districts.
This is the first election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) since it was set up in 1995 and there are 36 constituencies, all of which have been declared `hyper-sensitive`.
The second and the third phase polls would be held on November 16 and 25 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez