Rahul backs grass-roots leaders as he meets NE state chiefs
New Delhi: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi Monday signalled that rewards are on the way for leaders who have risen from the grass-roots to make the organisation vibrant ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
"If you don`t come from the ground, how would you know the ground reality," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said adding that Rahul agreed with the view.
"His view also is that who is coming from the grass roots level.Have got better understanding of the ground reality. And without having a ground reality, the party cannot be strengthened. Ultimately, he will decide," Gogoi told reporters after the meeting of PCC Chiefs and CLP leaders from the northeastern states.
"More and more we decentralise power, more the Congress will be strengthened," Gogoi told Gandhi in the meeting.
Gogoi, who successfully led the party to victory for the third time in Assam, contended that those who come from the ground level can make a difference for the party.
The senior Congress leader said Gandhi`s idea was to understand the problems of every states.
"He wants to know about the problems and how they can be resolved," he said.
Asked about projection of Gandhi as Prime Minister candidate in the next general elections, Gogoi said, "definitely, he is going to be the leader.... There is no doubt about it."
"If you ask me, ultimately who will be the Prime Minister, they (High Command) will decide. But he will be our leader no doubt about it and he has already assumed the charge also," the Chief Minister added.
Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said leaders from Tripura and Nagaland had not come in view of the elections in these states.
Arunanchal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki also could not attend the deliberations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days