Rajkhowa writes formally to Gogoi for peace talks
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun
Gogoi has received a formal letter from ULFA chairman Arabinda
Rajkhowa expressing his outfit’s willingness to hold peace
talks with the government.
Stating that the outfit`s central executive council
would be meeting soon, the chief minister said, "I have
received a letter from Rajkhowa about ULFA`s willingness to
sit for the talks.
"The talks process is moving in the right direction. I
can`t say exactly on which date the talks will be held as it
will be decided only after the ULFA executive council meets
and decides. When the talks will be held is now up to them,"
Gogoi said last evening on the sidelines of a meeting here.
"The decisions taken at the meeting will be
communicated to the government for the beginning of the peace
talks," he said.
Earlier, discussions were held a number of times
between central government appointed interlocutor P C Haldhar
and ULFA leaders when they were in jail prior to their release
on bail this month.
The state government had not opposed to the bail
petitions of frontline ULFA leaders to pave the way for the
According to Hiren Gogoi, Convenor of the National
Convention of Intellectuals here which is initiating the peace
process, all ULFA leaders and cadres including its elusive
`commander-in-chief` Paresh Baruah were bound by the decision
of the central executive council on talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof