Rajya Sabha passes Bill on Northeast civil services
New Delhi: Parliament on Friday passed a Bill providing for splitting the existing joint Manipur and Tripura cadre of the All-India Services and for separate cadres for each of the states, with Rajya Sabha approving the measure.
With passing of the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Amendment Bill, 2011, Tripura and Manipur will now have separate cadres each for the Indian Administrative Service, the Indian Police Service and the Indian Forest Service.
The Bill has already been passed by the Lok Sabha.
Replying to the discussion on the Bill in the Upper House, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said the Centre is taking care of the shortage of officers in the two states and has taken note of the suggestions made by various members.
On the issue of insurgency in the Northeastern states, he said, "the Government of India is dealing with the problem of insurgency in North Eastern States with all seriousness."
As regards violations of human rights in the area, he said the National Human Rights Commission is taking care of all such complaints.
To a query by Shantaram Naik (Cong) for having a separate cadre for Goa, the Minister said the state government does not want one.
Earlier, members cutting across party lines expressed "distress" over the Home Ministry taking almost a decade to create separate cadres for officers of the two states.
Participating in the discussion, Mani Shankar Aiyar (Cong) appeared critical of the Home Ministry taking such a long time in doing so.
It is very distressing that a very simple matter of bifurcating of cadres took nine years, he said, adding that had the Union Home Ministry displayed an element of urgency, the measure would have been implemented many years ago. He said creation of separate cadres will lead to speedier development of the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read