Ramendra Chandra Nath elected Speaker in Tripura for 3rd term
Agartala: Ramendra Chandra Nath was on Friday elected unopposed as the Speaker of the Tripura Legislative Assembly for the third straight term.
As the proceedings began, Protem Speaker Niranjan Debbarma announced that he had received three sets of nominations for the post of Speaker from only Ramendra Chandra Debnath and as no other nomination had been filed, he declared him elected unopposed as the Speaker.
After the announcement, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and opposition MLA, Sudip Roy Burman, who is also the President of Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) went to Nath and escorted him to the dais for occupying his chair.
The Leader of the Opposition is yet to be appointed.
A former advocate, Debnath, was first elected as the Speaker in 2003 and till then completed his full two terms.
In the February 14 elections, the ruling Left Front secured fifty seats while the opposition Congress secured only 10 seats in the 60-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you