Rebel group kills two in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two people, including a woman, were killed and two injured by rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) outfit early Tuesday, police said.
A group of five to six heavily armed rebels stormed the Garodoba village in southwest Garo Hills district around 1.30 a.m. The rebels shot dead 32-year-old Sridina A. Sangma and 42-year-old Anirud Hajong, district police chief Muthu Ramachandran said.
However, all the rebels escaped and a manhunt is on to nab them.
The village comes under Ampati assembly constituency of Chief Minister Mukul Sangma.
The GNLA, one of five rebel groups fighting for a separate Garoland in western Meghalaya, is headed by policeman-turned-rogue Champion R. Sangma.
Champion Sangma is currently in jail in state capital Shillong after being arrested from the India-Bangladesh border last year.
The GNLA, which has over 100 rebels including a few women cadres, has been declared a terrorist outfit.
Over 40 people, including security personnel, have been killed while more than 10 people were abducted for ransom by the GNLA in the last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical