`Rebel leader has bank deposit of $1,75,000 in Singapore`
New Delhi: An arrested rebel leader from
the northeast has a bank deposit of USD 1,75,000 in Singapore
and took worldwide membership of Marriott hotel by paying USD
65,000, investigators have found.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has found that
Niranjan Hojai, `commander-in-chief` of the DHD-J or Black
Widow group in Assam, has deposited the money after collecting
it through extortion, sources said.
The NIA, which arrested Hojai from Nepal early this
month, was looking for him in connection with the case
relating to diversion of the funds of the North Cachar Hills
Sources said Hojai had also taken the worldwide
membership of Marriott hotel after paying US 65,000 dollars,
all collected through extortion in the North Cach hill
district in Assam.
Hojai was one of the main accused in the case relating
to militant-politician nexus in NC Hills, which was the first
case of NIA, and several prominent political leaders as well
as the chairman of the DHD-J, Jewel Garlosa were arrested in
connection with the case, sources said.
Hojai is believed to have given crucial information to
the NIA regarding militant-politician nexus in NC Hills.
Sources said the NIA reportedly unearthed the
siphoning off of huge amounts of funds of the NC Hills
Autonomous Council, which led to a hue and cry in Assam and
finally the government was forced to entrust the CBI to
investigate into five cases of financial irregularities in the
NIA, in its charge sheet, also suggested that the
financial irregularities should be investigated by an agency
like the CBI as it was not the mandate of the agency to
investigate into such scams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says