Referendum, if talks on sovereignty not possible: Paresh Barua
Guwahati: Upping the ante, ULFA
`commander-in-chief` Paresh Barua on Friday shot off a `last
message` to the Centre, asking it to take a referendum in
Assam if it could not discuss the sovereignty issue with the
In an email sent in Assamese in Roman script and not
written in the usual ULFA letterhead, Barua, said "The
government of India has to discuss the sovereignty of Assam.
If it cannot do so then it should go for a referendum to
ascertain the opinion of the Assamese people on the issue."
Noting that even Mahatma Gandhi had sought people`s
opinion before taking up his movement against the British, he
said there are instances of referendums in Canada, Indonesia
and several other countries.
Asserting that this was his last message, Barua said,
"the government should either discuss the sovereignty issue or
take a referendum `before it is too late`.
"The people of Assam, who have always remained
historically independent, cannot be deprived of their
birthright," he said.
Barua also alleged that India being the world`s
largest democracy was `eyewash` as all political parties
worked only in their own interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?