Refused nomination by Cong, Meghalaya minister resigns
Shillong: Meghalaya Rural Development Minister Saleng Sangma on Friday resigned from Mukul Sangma cabinet as well as from the state`s ruling Congress party after being refused a ticket to contest the February 23 Assembly poll.
Sangma handed over his papers to the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly Joint Secretary and to a Congress functionary at the Congress Bhavan besides sending a resignation letter to the Chief Minister.
Three sitting legislators, Samuel Sangma, Stanleywiss Rymbai and cabinet minister Saleng Sangma were not given party tickets by Congress.
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee general secretary Sanjay Das said he had received the resignation letter of Saleng Sangma.
Sangma said he was in talks with independent candidates to form a united front in the state ahead of the February poll.
“I have been in touch with my other friends who are contesting as independents and we are keen to have some sort of pre-poll understanding,” he said.
Sangma’s resignation came a few hours ahead of the scheduled cabinet meet slated in the evening which was later called off as the Chief Minister was not in station.
An aggrieved Sangma had sought security cover for him and his supporters after a series of attack on him and his supporters lately by the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened