Renaming of RGU requires Constitutional amendment: VC
Itanagar: The Vice-chancellor of Rajiv
Gandhi University, K C Beliappa, today said the students`
demand to insert `Arunachal` ahead of `Rajiv Gandhi` in the
nomenclature of the Central univarsity would require
"The students insisted on the change, but for that the
Constitution has to be amended," Beliappa told reporters.
Arunachal University was renamed after Rajiv Gandhi
before it was accorded Central university status in 2006.
"Renaming of the university is one of their eleven
demands for which the agitating students are to go on a
48-hour strike from tomorrow," he said adding that building a
multi-purpose Students Activity Centre was their another major
The VC said while granting Central university status,
it was stated in Parliament that the Central government would
provide a total grant of Rs 105 crore to the university for
construction of various projects during the 11th plan.
But so far only Rs 57 crore had been released by the
UGC with only two years of the plan period remaining, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok