Renaming of RGU requires Constitutional amendment: VC
Itanagar: The Vice-chancellor of Rajiv
Gandhi University, K C Beliappa, today said the students`
demand to insert `Arunachal` ahead of `Rajiv Gandhi` in the
nomenclature of the Central univarsity would require
"The students insisted on the change, but for that the
Constitution has to be amended," Beliappa told reporters.
Arunachal University was renamed after Rajiv Gandhi
before it was accorded Central university status in 2006.
"Renaming of the university is one of their eleven
demands for which the agitating students are to go on a
48-hour strike from tomorrow," he said adding that building a
multi-purpose Students Activity Centre was their another major
The VC said while granting Central university status,
it was stated in Parliament that the Central government would
provide a total grant of Rs 105 crore to the university for
construction of various projects during the 11th plan.
But so far only Rs 57 crore had been released by the
UGC with only two years of the plan period remaining, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional