Renaming of RGU requires Constitutional amendment: VC
Itanagar: The Vice-chancellor of Rajiv
Gandhi University, K C Beliappa, today said the students`
demand to insert `Arunachal` ahead of `Rajiv Gandhi` in the
nomenclature of the Central univarsity would require
"The students insisted on the change, but for that the
Constitution has to be amended," Beliappa told reporters.
Arunachal University was renamed after Rajiv Gandhi
before it was accorded Central university status in 2006.
"Renaming of the university is one of their eleven
demands for which the agitating students are to go on a
48-hour strike from tomorrow," he said adding that building a
multi-purpose Students Activity Centre was their another major
The VC said while granting Central university status,
it was stated in Parliament that the Central government would
provide a total grant of Rs 105 crore to the university for
construction of various projects during the 11th plan.
But so far only Rs 57 crore had been released by the
UGC with only two years of the plan period remaining, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender