Renewed efforts for permanent settlement of Naga issue in 2013
Kohima: The year 2013 was marked by continued efforts by both Nagaland government and civil society groups for a permanent settlement to the decades-old political conflict to enable peace and reconciliation among the Nagas.
The beginning of the year saw elections to the 60-member state Assembly with the ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF)-led Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) registering a landslide victory and coming to power for a third consecutive term.
However, the Neiphiu Rio government faced financial crisis with the Centre cutting the state plan allocation after stating that all centrally-sponsored schemes would be executed through the Ministry of DoNER.
Rio maintained that being a salaried economy, Nagaland would rather compromise on development projects but not stop the payment of salaries to government employees. Salaries for government staffers consumes almost 60 per cent of the budget allocation.
Continuing with efforts towards peace and reconciliation, the Forum for Naga Re-conciliation (FNR), along with other civil society groups and churches, tried its best to bring the various Naga underground factions closer. The state government and political parties also supported the move.
However, differences prevailed among the various groups and a war of words continued between them as they blamed each other for not being serious about peace and unity in the state. Moreover, factional clashes between NSCN factions also saw an increase.
Irked by unabated taxation by various underground groups and some government departments, a public movement was initiated by the Dimapur Naga Council under the banner of Action Committee Against Unabated Taxation (ACAUT) in the first quarter.
It received immense support from the people as well as various Naga civil society groups and the fight to stop illegal taxation is continuing. ACAUT leaders also held rounds of talks with underground leaders and even submitted representations to the state government seeking a streamlining of the taxation pattern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly