Republic Day celebrated amid tight security in Manipur
Imphal: Republic Day was on Saturday celebrated amid tight security deployment in Manipur with Governor Gurbachan Jagat taking salute from various contingents at the march past at the first Manipur Rifles ground here.
Official sources said there was heavy security and police deployment at various parts of the state capital in view of the boycott call of the Republic Day celebrations by all major insurgent organisations of the north-east, including United National Liberation Front (UNLF) and Revolutionary People`s Front (RPF).
Patrolling was intensified at all entry points to Manipur Rifles ground including Moirangkhom, Sanjenthong, Keisampat and other areas, sources said.
Official reports from the districts said the day was also celebrated at all district headquarters amid heavy police and security deployment.
Insurgents had exploded three powerful bombs yesterday, including one at the first Manipur Rifles ground here, sources said, adding that most of the passers-by who came to witness the day`s celebrations were checked at various places to intercept the movement of armed insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery