Resentment in Tripura Cong over candidates list
Agartala: Resentment is brewing within the opposition Congress in Tripura following the list of candidates announced by All India Congress Committee (AICC) for the February 14 Assembly elections in the state.
The AICC announced the list of 48 candidates for the 60- member Assembly election besides allocating eleven seats for contest to their longtime ally Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT), a non-Left tribal body.
A group of Congress workers opposing the nomination of Billal Mia, a former minister, destroyed two party offices at Rahimpur and Manikyanagar in Boxanagar constituency area in Sipahijala district.
The faction also took out procession in the area yesterday and damaged flags and festoons of the party, alleging that the right candidate was not nominated for the election.
Block Congress President of Charilam in West Tripura district Amal Debnath told reporters here that the Congress leaders and activists would resign en masse if the name of official candidate, Himani Debbarma is not withdrawn and the name of Pradyot Bikram Kishore Debbarman is not given renomination for the Charilam constituency.
Debbarman is the inheritor of the erstwhile Manikya kings and son of Bibhu Kumari Devei, a former minister and MP.
More than one thousand party workers and supporters also met the TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman and stated their conclusion.
The Block Congress President of Chandipur in North Tripura district, Ajoy Deb in a press conference there said that they had long been demanding party ticket for the TPCC General Secretary Debasish Sen, who was nursing the constituency for long time, but ticket was given to Nirmalendu Deb, who according to them, is a mere Congress supporter.
Senior Party leader Tapas Dey admitted that there were wide spread resentment in different parts of the state and stray incidents of damaging party office were reported from different part of the state.
Meanwhile, the TPCC President Sudip Royburman called a meeting of the senior Congress leaders this evening to tackle the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow