Resentment in Tripura Cong over candidates list
Agartala: Resentment is brewing within the opposition Congress in Tripura following the list of candidates announced by All India Congress Committee (AICC) for the February 14 Assembly elections in the state.
The AICC announced the list of 48 candidates for the 60- member Assembly election besides allocating eleven seats for contest to their longtime ally Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT), a non-Left tribal body.
A group of Congress workers opposing the nomination of Billal Mia, a former minister, destroyed two party offices at Rahimpur and Manikyanagar in Boxanagar constituency area in Sipahijala district.
The faction also took out procession in the area yesterday and damaged flags and festoons of the party, alleging that the right candidate was not nominated for the election.
Block Congress president of Charilam in West Tripura district Amal Debnath told reporters here that the Congress leaders and activists would resign en masse if the name of official candidate, Himani Debbarma is not withdrawn and the name of Pradyot Bikram Kishore Debbarman is not given renomination for the Charilam constituency.
Debbarman is the inheritor of the erstwhile Manikya kings and son of Bibhu Kumari Devei, a former minister and MP.
More than one thousand party workers and supporters also met the TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman and stated their conclusion.
The Block Congress president of Chandipur in North Tripura district, Ajoy Deb in a press conference there said that they had long been demanding party ticket for the TPCC General Secretary Debasish Sen, who was nursing the constituency for long time, but ticket was given to Nirmalendu Deb, who according to them, is a mere Congress supporter.
Senior Party leader Tapas Dey admitted that there were wide spread resentment in different parts of the state and stray incidents of damaging party office were reported from different part of the state.
Meanwhile, the TPCC president Sudip Royburman called a meeting of the senior Congress leaders this evening to tackle the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor
- Flipkart effect: Startups may lose sheen in job market
- 'USD 100 for shaving beard: ISIS imposes new fines, taxes'
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Is this the most unusual batting stance in world cricket?