Resolving Naga issue crucial to development: Rio
New Delhi: With decades of insurgency
affecting Nagaland`s economic progress, Chief Minister
Neiphiu Rio on Saturday said early resolution of the vexed Naga
issue was crucial to the implementation of various
developmental plans in the state.
"Early and lasting solution to the vexed Naga political
problem will be critical to ensure success in implementation
of various development plans," he said addressing the National
Development Council meeting here.
The Centre has been holding talks with NSCN-IM since 1998
to find a solution to the Naga problem. In July, the Centre
and the NSCN-IM had announced that they "narrowed" down
differences and were working out a settlement in the "shortest
Rio said state government`s strategy of `peace for
development and development for peace` has paid dividends to
some extent and there was a need for sustained efforts to fuel
economic growth in the state.
Noting that improving connectivity in the northeastern
region was crucial for economic development, Rio said his
government has set a target of 10 per cent growth rate for
Nagaland during the 12th Five Year Plan.
"The North Eastern states except Assam is primarily
dependent on road transport. The region shares thousand
kilometres of international border with five countries.
Development of road network deserves highest priority," he
He also complimented a proposal mentioned in the Approach
Paper for 12 th Plan to open road connectivity from North East
"Construction of a highway along the Indo-Myanmar border
in addition to opening the area for trade will also check
illegal trafficking of drugs and arms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- IPL 2016, Eliminator: SRH beat KKR by 22 runs; play Gujarat in 2nd qualifier for place in final
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results likely to be declared on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- ISRO to test next reusable launch vehicle after studying data of May 23 flight
- Beware! Grilled food not good for health!
- WhatsApp leads messaging apps globally