Resolving Naga issue crucial to development: Rio
New Delhi: With decades of insurgency
affecting Nagaland`s economic progress, Chief Minister
Neiphiu Rio on Saturday said early resolution of the vexed Naga
issue was crucial to the implementation of various
developmental plans in the state.
"Early and lasting solution to the vexed Naga political
problem will be critical to ensure success in implementation
of various development plans," he said addressing the National
Development Council meeting here.
The Centre has been holding talks with NSCN-IM since 1998
to find a solution to the Naga problem. In July, the Centre
and the NSCN-IM had announced that they "narrowed" down
differences and were working out a settlement in the "shortest
Rio said state government`s strategy of `peace for
development and development for peace` has paid dividends to
some extent and there was a need for sustained efforts to fuel
economic growth in the state.
Noting that improving connectivity in the northeastern
region was crucial for economic development, Rio said his
government has set a target of 10 per cent growth rate for
Nagaland during the 12th Five Year Plan.
"The North Eastern states except Assam is primarily
dependent on road transport. The region shares thousand
kilometres of international border with five countries.
Development of road network deserves highest priority," he
He also complimented a proposal mentioned in the Approach
Paper for 12 th Plan to open road connectivity from North East
"Construction of a highway along the Indo-Myanmar border
in addition to opening the area for trade will also check
illegal trafficking of drugs and arms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried