Resolving Naga issue crucial to development: Rio
New Delhi: With decades of insurgency
affecting Nagaland`s economic progress, Chief Minister
Neiphiu Rio on Saturday said early resolution of the vexed Naga
issue was crucial to the implementation of various
developmental plans in the state.
"Early and lasting solution to the vexed Naga political
problem will be critical to ensure success in implementation
of various development plans," he said addressing the National
Development Council meeting here.
The Centre has been holding talks with NSCN-IM since 1998
to find a solution to the Naga problem. In July, the Centre
and the NSCN-IM had announced that they "narrowed" down
differences and were working out a settlement in the "shortest
Rio said state government`s strategy of `peace for
development and development for peace` has paid dividends to
some extent and there was a need for sustained efforts to fuel
economic growth in the state.
Noting that improving connectivity in the northeastern
region was crucial for economic development, Rio said his
government has set a target of 10 per cent growth rate for
Nagaland during the 12th Five Year Plan.
"The North Eastern states except Assam is primarily
dependent on road transport. The region shares thousand
kilometres of international border with five countries.
Development of road network deserves highest priority," he
He also complimented a proposal mentioned in the Approach
Paper for 12 th Plan to open road connectivity from North East
"Construction of a highway along the Indo-Myanmar border
in addition to opening the area for trade will also check
illegal trafficking of drugs and arms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000